If your garden or yard is something you take a lot of pride in, you’re often looking for new projects to enhance its appearance. A popular trend that’s affordable and allows you to add character to your yard are gabion cages, which are wire cages filled with rocks. We are going to walk you through a how to make a bench out of a gabion cage and also suggest some additional DIY options.
1. Find a location in your garden where you want the bench to sit. Take some wire mesh fencing and form either a cylinder or a square, depending on how you want the bench to look, and secure the ends together with the wire.
2. Bend 3 or 4 electrodes into a U shape, and use them to attach the mesh fence to the ground. If you are using a square-shaped cage, you can place stakes into each of the four corners to help secure its shape.
3. Using a jig saw, cut the plywood board into your desired shape for the bench seat. Round the corners and sand the board, if necessary.
Optional: Take the opportunity to get creative and paint or stain the board to give it a personalized touch.
4. Once dried, attach the cable straps on the back of the board with a screwdriver. The cable straps should be placed on opposite ends of the board. Insert a U-shaped electrode into each of the straps. Note: Brackets to a door bolt can be used in replace of the cable straps.
5. Fill the wire cage with stones. You’ll want to use stones that are larger than the holes of the mesh, so keep this in mind when deciding on which type of fencing to use.
6. Place the board on top of the cage and secure it by pushing the electrodes into the stones. Now, the only thing left to do is to take a seat and break in your new bench.
Don’t be afraid to get creative with this project. Try changing up the design of the gabion cage to create larger or different-shaped benches.
If you liked how your bench turned out and want to try your hand at some more gabion projects, or you simply don’t need a bench, check out the following list of additional ideas:
For images and more details on these project ideas, check out this article from Wirefence. You may just find some inspiration for your next DIY project.
Blain’s Farm & Fleet has all your garden and patio needs from furniture to lawn statues, because we understand how much having a beautiful home means to you. However, if you’re looking to get creative and build something yourself, we also have all the materials you need to make your vision come to life. For more DIY projects, tips, and How-To’s, check out our Patio and Gardening blogs.
Hot dip galvanized iron wire Dense Wire Twisted Wire Iron Wire Black Annealed Iron Wire what is wire mesh Decorative Woven Mesh Architectural Wire Mesh Architectural Mesh insulating joint American Standard Railroad Clad Head For Pressure Vessels Galvanized Hog Wire Fence decorative wire mesh supplier Welded Metal Mesh Panels Stainless Steel Welded Metal Mesh Panels